Sunday, June 24, 2007

Somewhere in Lagerburg

A letter, delivered by courier at night, along with a small package.
------------------

My dear Fritz,

It is with some concern I have heard from friends of the tensions between the Duchy and your Slobbovian neighbors. Things are nearly as on edge as they were when we served together in the freikorps in the last war, are they not? I thought it suitable to write you informally about a little tender inquiry I have been making of late. I think it would be possible, were you to wish it, for me to arrange an audience for yourself or some other representative of the Duchy to speak with the Trade Minister and/or the Foreign Minister regarding beneficial trade agreements. Enclosed, I believe you will find an excellent sample of the product of our recently discovered rich gold vein, the which I encourage you to examine and keep for your mineral collection. I thought that perhaps the division of such a fine mineral sample to some in your acquaintance might help to demonstrate the benefits of trade.

Respectfully,

RF

1 comment:

Allen M. said...

(The scene, Late evening at the Ducal estate, Felsenfall)
"Milord, our agent "Fritz" is here to see you."
"Show him in, Helmut. And see that we are not disturbed until I call for you."
"As you wish, Milord."
Helmut opened the door for a nondescript mouse of a man. The agent entered and handed a small package over to the Herzog.
"Milord, this just arrived by courier from one of my contacts in Hesse-Engleburg."
Duke Albrecht regarded the package and it's contents carefully. As he read the note, his curiosity turned to mild confusion. "It seems that our situation with Slobbovia is drawing some attention." He walked over to regard a wall map of eastern Europa. "Perhaps there is more to the yield of the mines there than I was led to believe. Fritz, pursue this line of communication with your counterpart, and keep me appraised of your progress. We can always use another ally."
"Of course, milord."
Albrecht crossed to a bell rope suspended from the ceiling and gave it a tug. A moment later, Helmut entered.
"Please see the gentleman out. Oh, and Fritz..." the agent turned just in time to catch the gold nugget casually tossed by the Herzog.
"I think that is yours" said Albrecht with a slight smile.
"Many thanks, Milord!"
(Scene ends)