Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A new Imagi-Nation, about to be born

I'm glad to let you all know that a new Imagi-Nation is close to share a space in the Emperor vs Elector community map. Exact date for birth is unknown yet, for it largely depends on the result of a mini-campaign set in the late War of Spanish Succession -when this new What-if-Nation is supposed to be born-, so that some of its "future" features are still a matter of speculation. However, I believe that Principality of Galatea is the most likely name it will be given (Nationals, to be called Galatan, pl. Galatans), and it's geographical location is between Gallia and Spain, by the Mediterranean shores.

The wargaming campaign itself is based on a real WSS episode, so that I've chosen to keep real names while the campaign is still runnning, and switching to imagi-names once it comes to an aftermath (so that you won't be reading "Galatea" anywhere in my Imagi-Nation blog yet: what-if-catalonia.blogspot.com)

It might seem a little odd choice to let my What-if-Nation be born some 30-40 years before Europa's "current" time, but I've thought it nice to actually game it, instead of writing a long, epic, and presumably boring story on my blog -which would have proved too difficult for me, for English is not my native language, so that I hardly would be able to produce a nicely written enough story...

Besides, I believed it exciting to leave you a real chance to muse with such an open window to your own Imagi-Nations near "past", so that you were able to plan any kind of imagined plots or diplomacies around my campaign and, by this, to actually influence my What-if-Nation "future" attitudes -and, besides, to add some supplementary background for your "contemporary" policies and conflicts. So that I formally invite you, not just to follow my campaign but to actively participate in it, the most fun way you believe.

Well, it's a mistery to me where is all this going to, but it was worth to be given a chance! I am still uncertain about a date for the campaign start but, at present, I've already finished an hex grid map and a campaign rules draft -which can be checked at my blog- and my next step will be producing OOB's and characters.

Wish you find it fun!

16 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

Welcome! We shall look forward to seing how this develops.

Martin said...

Yes indeed! Welcome aboard. You'll be amazed at the unexpected twists and turns your Inagi-Nation takes, and how the characters take on a life of their own.

Martin said...

Yes indeed! Welcome aboard. You'll be amazed at the unexpected twists and turns your Inagi-Nation takes, and how the characters take on a life of their own.

Capt Bill said...

Greetings and felicitations from the Reich Duchy of Beerstein...

Bluebear Jeff said...

Lluis,

We all look forward to your campaign to "birth" your imagi-nation.

Welcome to the 18th Century, sir.


-- Jeff

Archduke Piccolo said...

Great to see a new old school wargamer aboard.
I like the idea of playing out the 'back history'. Something I hope to do myself (When, Lord; When...?!) with my Wholly romantic empire. Unfortunately, except for painting troops, the wargame aspect is, owing to unforeseen circumstances, on hold for the time being.
I'll certainly be following events in the pre-nascent Galatea as they unfold...
All the best,
Ion

Fire at Will said...

Good luck and welcome

A J said...

Welcome aboard! I'm looking forward to seeing how Galatea develops. As Martin said, there'll be many unexpected twists and turns ahead, but that makes it all the more fun!

BaronVonJ said...

Welcome aboard. Unkerlant currently reside in 1702-ish, before most Imagi-Nations here, so don't feel lonely.
-J

Soldadets said...

Most thankful for a so warm welcome, Sirs. Humbly hope not to disappoint your Excellencies (gently bowing my plumed hat)

abdul666 said...

Now that you did breathe life into your creature, you'll be surprised -and enthralled- to watch Galatea growing and diversifying on its own! At times you'll feel almost like Dr. Frankenstein...

Amusingly, militant Galatea (roughly) shares the location of another Imagi-Nation, but an emphatically peaceful one: Trypheme (created in 1901 by French writer Pierre Louys), ruled during the Belle Epoque by the gentle King Pausole.
A sunny country may fear a worse future!

OIIIIIIIO said...

Achtung!
Lietung-Direktor, Otto Schwarz von Blitzenkruz, has declared Der Direktorat aus Herrschaden, will immediately deploy an unterdirektor to this new imagi-nation.

(Herrschaden 1706)
Authorization code ID: OIIIIIIIO

Soldadets said...

Jean-Louis, I'm amazed at your ability to surprise me! I didn't know about that early creation...

Mmmm... A great chance to make your country grow without clashing with your all-life neighbours! :D

David Morfitt said...

Yes, welcome from me too.

And it also was good to see my map icons (somewhat modified) in use on your map. :-)

Cheers,

David
http://nba-sywtemplates.blogspot.com/

kendo said...

Huzzah, Huzzah, 21 guns fired in the Capital of Kopf-Schlager , Schlagerdorf, as a salute

littlejohn said...

It's best thing you can do do for your gaming.... to start an Imagination...and maybe two!...nothing compares...'nuff said!!!